Sunday, December 6, 2009

Samuel Adams - Imperial Stout

Samuel Adams - Imperial Stout

Sam Adams imperial series has been taunting me for awhile now, I finally gave in and picked some up.

No stout hole test preformed, will have to retest... :-)

It pours great, my first impression is that this is going to be an excellent beer. It smells coffee chocolaty beery. Good head, but it's pretty white for an imperial stout. First sip - damn, it's a thin beer, sad. When I think imperial beer, I think of something thick with an in your face mouthfeel. This lacks that.

Second sip, it's tasty, excellent stout, no chalky taste, very smooth. It tastes kind of like Guiness without the nitro pour. The nine and something alcohol content is masked well... Maybe a little too well. I kind of like the journy you get with some beers as they warm. This one tastes pretty consistent from start to finish.

Good stout, but lacks some of the BAM I look for in an imperial stout. I'd put it in the same category as Elysian's dragonstooth stout. I'll probably pick up another 4 pack one of these days.

No comments: