Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Samuel Smith Imperial Stout

I was in the mood for a big stout and didn't want to tap into my reserves. I was pretty disappointed when I got to the grocery store. My choices were this or stone's bitter chocolate oatmeal stout. Honestly I picked this one because it was on sale for $2.49, but my official story is going to be that I hadn't had it in quite a while.

For an imperial stout it pours too thin. And as you can see it had a big head, strike two... The smell is faint, chocholate raisin. First sip, way too carbonated and lacking body. The carbonation dominates my first sip. Second taste, there's something weird, tastes kinda like day old coffe, dry finish. Not picking up the alcohol in the taste or body either. At 7% with this much carbonation and the funk I can't put my finger on I guess it would be hard to pick out. Nothing changed much as it warmed, I remeber Samuel Smith's beer being better...

No comments: