Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dogfish Head - Palo Santo Marron

Dogfish Head - Palo Santo Marron

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/palo-santo-marron.htm

What is that (good) smell?! This beer looks like a stout when it pours, but is smells like, like oak on steroids? Don't know how to describe it.

My first sip had me dissapointed, it was "woo hoo it's a brown ale... dee dee dee, why am I not tasting that weird smell?" And it had a really dry finish. Strange, I know, I'd heard awesome things about this beer.

Third sip (second sip was blah), oh. Oh. OH! Wow. There's something awesome there. I didn't know you could bottle awesome but apparently dogfish head has figured out how.

For me the taste kept building, at first I wished they had gone with a more flavorful base beer, but as I drank more I'm glad they didn't. The dry finish seemed to fade away too, maybe I had the beer too cold?! Maybe it's the 12%... There's some kind of hickory, maple sugar, smoked oaky thing going on. I think I'm going to need another bottle to try to describe the taste.

Another amazing brew from Dogfish Head!

p.s. I'm looking for a bottle of Dogfish Head's Theobroma, anyone in Washington seen a bottle?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey this is Josh - that little bit you handed out this weekend was fantastic, it made me think of what a lowland scotch would taste like as a beer.

BrewMunkey_A said...

Glad you liked it!