Thursday, June 17, 2010

Boundary Bay



Never had a cask beer until today. Rode 12 miles in to get it and I'd say it's worth it. Boundary Bay started serving casks every day and it certaintly worked to my advantage today.

Cask Porter
Holy great creamy head! I guess it's a typical side effect of casking and pumping but I was not expecting this. This porter is a bit sweet and not to my liking but my first cask I'm definetly in favor of it.

Cask Oatmeal Stout
Surprisingly less sweet than the porter. ??? Always the beer I go for and it just happenened to not be on tap today. AFter I finished my Porter, it was casked! Happy day. The head on this one wasn't nearly as creamy but had a much better mouthfeel and oatmealy goodness. I don't think I can compare it to the carbonated Oatmeal Stout as I didn't have them side by side, but this one just has a smoothness to it that I like.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

I learned that cask-conditioned ales are a lot like beers on nitro. The head is thicker and richer, the flavors are stronger too. Nitro exists to mimic the cask-conditioned results. Truly fascinating.