Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Carlton and United Beverages: Sheaf Stout

I had my doubts going in but this is a good beer. Imported from Tansmania Australia, this black bodied stout has a deep chocolaty flavor, white head, light carbonation, and a nice light mouthfeel. It poured very black and blocked the light entirely from my LED flashlight
and a LASER POINTER! This was a little misleading since it had a lighter body than say Deschutes Obsidian Stout. I was unsure as to whom made it cause the name on the bottle sounds more like a distributing company than a brewery. I'm going to read up on the Australian brewing practices and maybe post later. It was under $4 for a 23oz bottle and it was worth it. Also worthy of note was its impressive Stout Hole Test (it passed easily).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I am going to have to try to find a bottle of this. Looking online, it looks like it is actualy a Foster's beer. But sold under the Carlton & United brewery name.

CheapGeek_1 said...

You know, it wouldn't suprise me. This was a great beer for them since I'm not a huge Fosters fan. I got this one at the grociery store oddly enough.