Friday, December 12, 2008

Dogfish Head: 90 Minute IPA, 120 Minute IPA



Starting with the 90 Minute IPA I guess is the logical thing to do. It poured very clear with an amber color. It's clarity and color are missleading as the body is fairly heavy. It is a bit sweeter than I like but not terrible. The hops weren't too strong and I didn't smell them right away, but about 4 inches away I caught it. It isn't too hoppy but fairly balanced with it's reasonably thick body. Not terrible for an imperial IPA but I think it shouldn't be so sweet. Not sure if I'd drink two of them back to back, but overall a decent beer and I'm glad I had it.





Holy moly. 20% ABV, 120 IBU, and 450 calories per bottle, this 120 Minute IPA sounds crazy on paper. I'm so glad I drank this after the 90 minute. This drowns the 90 Minute. At my first sip I was hit in the nose by the alcohol vapors and knocked in the back of my head with its huge presence. Like many heavy beers this has a maple flavor that accompanies its huge body. Claiming a Plato of 45* (1.180 SG) this beer is the thickest I've ever had besides Utopia's. It poured with a subtle head and clings strongly to the glass. Halfway through the glass I could really smell the maple/mahogany coming out just sniffing the beer. And here a week before christmas, fruit flies have found my beer. I really wasn't expecting this beer to be like this as I hadn't done any research on it at all. I don't think I'd get either of these again but I'd really recommend you at least try it.

1 comment:

BrewMunkey_A said...

Told you it wouldn't be what you expected, glad you finally tried it!

For what its worth I really like both of these and usually have a few in my basement.