Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Samuel Adams Utopias

Samuel Adams Utopias 2005 # 06985

http://www.samueladams.com/world_of_beer.aspx

This was a birthday present to myself a couple years ago. Since I'm on vacation I decided to start new years celebrations a little early.

It smells like pure alcoholic sugar! I still can't believe this is a beer. It smells like brown sugar and pineapple with a vanilla caramel twist. It's heavy and thick, the sweet aftertaset lingers a bit. This beer is uncarbonated, one of the few that can get away with it, and tastes more like sherry than beer. It's very sweet, with surprisingly little alcohol bite considering it's a little over 25% (naturally fermented, not distilled!). I'm tasting so many things I can't pick them out. Molassas, vanilla, malt, caramel, not picking up any defined hop taste yet, but there is so much going on in this beer. It really redefines what beer can be, a truly groundbreaking beer experience. I'm at a loss for what else to say about it!

No comments: