Saturday, December 13, 2008

Redhook Double Black Imperial Stout





Redhook Double Black Imperial Stout

Fails the Stout Hole Test.

I agree with munkey 1, it smells like IPArter. Which smells like hop flavored coffee. I like the smell. First sip is kind of bitter, a lot like black coffee like the name claims. Nice and roasty with a decent mouthfeel. But with the first sip it's also evident that this is not an imperial stout. Weighing in at 7% its got some balls, but this is more of a coffee infused dark amber than an imperial stout. Being a Washington brewery they should know that we're a bit spoiled when it comes to beer. Don't get me wrong, it's good, no weird flavors, very drinkable with a smooth finish and honestly I’ll probably pick up another bottle soon. Redhook has another solid beer here, but it lacks the intricacies of a real microbrew stout. I know I'm being picky... but I’ve got a thing for imperial stouts. Guess I’m trying to say - Good beer, just labeled wrong. Try it for yourself.

No comments: